Seniors Enjoying Maintenance Living

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seniors Enjoying Maintenance Living

I like how calm and stable maintenance is. It's delightful to feel ever better and to know that the nutrient-dense foods provide nourishment, strength, regeneration, etc.

Thought I'd post and say "hooray" for clean living.

Re: Seniors Enjoying Maintenance Living

Originally posted by Serena View Post
    I like how calm and stable maintenance is. It's delightful to feel ever better and to know that the nutrient-dense foods provide nourishment, strength, regeneration, etc.

It's nice not to be on the high-carb roller coaster, isn't it, Serena? I'm glad you're having a good experience with our way of eating.

How long have you been low-carbing?

Comment

Hi, Gitfiddle. Am coming up on eleven years now.

Have you been low-carbing a long time, too?

Comment

Closer to six or seven, Serena. With ups and downs. I'm diabetic, so it will be my lifestyle from now on. No question.

Comment

Welcome Serena

I've been low carbing for 7 years too ... but what's this about clean living??

Maybe I missed that bit!

Comment

Carol and Malcolm, it's nice to "meet" you, and know there are other long-term low-carbers here. Carol, my WOE is for the long go, too.

Malcolm, thanks for the chuckle.

I'm one of those who keeps a clean plan. Sorry to spoil the party.

Indulgences in cold weather are extra butter, or a bit more pumpkin, or another pot of tea, extra beef fat in the soup, and such. I'm not among those who can eat or drink things outside of rather strict parameters. No coffee, no nightshades, and such.

I have found that the older I get, the better I feel when I stay well within my plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Serena View Post
              Malcolm, thanks for the chuckle.

I'm one of those who keeps a clean plan. Sorry to spoil the party.
              You'll get much farther that way!

Indulgences in cold weather are extra butter, or a bit more pumpkin, or another pot of tea, extra beef fat in the soup, and such. I'm not among those who can eat or drink things outside of rather strict parameters. No coffee, no nightshades, and such.

I have found that the older I get, the better I feel when I stay well within my plan.
              That is so true! I've settled into a comfortable pattern only disturbed by occasional intrusions on my comfort circle.

Comment

Thought I'd post and say "hooray" for clean living. Good for you. I always make sure that I'm getting enough Folic Acid and B vitamins from foods. The calmness you are feeling may be because your calories are low and your metabolism is reacting to your energy intake. When your body sees a lower energy intake level it will slow down. That's one reason low carb diets stall with weight loss. Carbs cause an increased metabolism and when you limit your carbs your metabolism will slow and so eating a very low carb diet may result in little or no weight change.
                Clean living has nothing to do with healthy living, although I'm not sure whatever those two terms mean. Weight lifters refer to a clean diet as low fat, high complex carbs, lots of vegies and protien. I don't think that's what your talking about thought?
                Sometimes you just have to rev up the engine
                Last edited by Roadstr; 10-12-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadstr View Post
                  Thanks for the support, Roadstr. And I'll add that there is no question that the clean living we're talking about is low carb.

Comment

I've been eating low carb for over 4 years now and also marvel at how calm maintenance can be. I don't focus on food in the way I used to. It doesn't have the power over me that it once did. I also feel that "the older I get, the better I feel" but the better I look also.

Comment

Originally posted by Baygirl View Post
                      I've been eating low carb for over 4 years now and also marvel at how calm maintenance can be. I don't focus on food in the way I used to. It doesn't have the power over me that it once did. I also feel that "the older I get, the better I feel" but the better I look also.
                      I totally agree with your observation, Baygirl.

Comment

Someone almost exactly my age told me recently that I am "aging well". Like I got lucky with this and didn't have to work at it. Meanwhile she says she can't give up cakes and cookies and junk. I don't think she believes there is a connection between how she eats and how she looks and feels. Sigh.

Comment

Someone almost exactly my age told me recently that I am "aging well". Like I got lucky with this and didn't have to work at it.
                          Yeah, right!

Meanwhile she says she can't give up cakes and cookies and junk. I don't think she believes there is a connection between how she eats and how she looks and feels. Sigh.
                          Very sad. My own sister told me she'd rather die than give up bread. What can you say?

Comment

Exactly. I was at a party yesterday where I saw many people who hadn't seen me for some time. They wanted to know HOW lost weight, but when I told them, I got responses just like your sisters. Can't give up (fill in the blank) but mostly bread, pasta and sugar.

Comment

Exactly. I was at a party yesterday where I saw many people who hadn't seen me for some time. They wanted to know HOW lost weight, but when I told them, I got responses just like your sisters. Can't give up (fill in the blank) but mostly bread, pasta and sugar.
                              One has to be ready (desperate?) to take that first step. I was ready. So glad! Glad for you, too!

Comment

Working...
                              X