I'm a vegetarian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a vegetarian

I've been eating low carb for a month and have lost 1 pound. What foods do people eat when you're a vegetarian? I'm wondering if it's because all the foods I eat are so high in sodium that I'm not losing.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Re: I'm a vegetarian

Welcome . High sodium foods might cause you to hold a bit more water, though salt isn't exactly the bogey-man it's often made out to be, but they shouldn't stop you burning fat.

It is harder for vegetarians to get all the (complete and utilisable) protein that they need without getting a lot of extra carbs or fat (not that fat is bad, but you may end up with more of it than you need). Cottage cheese and ricotta are useful, eggs in lots of guises.

What does a typical day's menu look like?

Comment

I eat a LOT of protein. I have a cheese omelette, smoothie (whey powder) and maybe 3 atkins bars, along with a big salad at night. I have probably 55-65 grams of carbs a day.

I've been wondering if eating atkins bars (net carbs 2) is hindering my weight loss (I have about 10 pounds to lose).

Comment

The Atkins bars could definitely be a culprit. Is the 2g net carb based on subtracting a lot of sugar alcohols (things that end in -ol)? The Drs Eades say that counting half to a third of the sugar alcohol is more realistic, so if you're eating several bars, you could well be getting a higher carb hit than your numbers would suggest, and you're already more in the transitional/maintenance area rather than intervention level (not that that's a bad thing given you're only ten pounds from your goal weight). You can easily test that by dropping them for a while.

Since you're only ten pounds from your goal, your weight isn't likely to change very fast - especially if you've chosen a low goal weight. One pound a month might be the speed it goes for you at that carb level and weight. Low carb eating often levels off at some point, which may be in the healthy range rather than the model-thin range.

First, though, I'd look try giving up the Atkins bars and see if that helps.

Comment

Also if you read the labels of Atkins products lately, most of them have actually gone low glycemic vs. low carb. Depending on what bars you are eating, that can also be a huge problem.

Comment

I have to count sugar alcohols as the same as sugar. I was trying to eat South Beach bars and my weight loss stopped.

Comment

Ditto for me on the low carb bars. I do eat them occasionally, but count 1/2 the sugar alcohols, which usually puts them around 8-10 grams of carb I each bar. Not bad if it's really a meal substitute, but if I eat one as a snack, the extra carbs will stall me. If you are eating them for convenience, you might want to look in the recipe section for protein bars you can make and take with you.

Since you eat eggs and dairy, you should be able to eat low carb without any problem. When I first began Protein Power in '98, I was lacto-ovo vegetarian and had no problem sticking to 10 carbs per meal. I did have to watch the amount of cheese I ate as I discovered it both stalled weight loss and constipated me. Eggs, tofu, soy "meat" substitutes, black soybeans, cheese in moderation, and protein powders formed the basis of my protein.

Comment

for breakfast I eat cheese omelette or make omelette with veggies leftovers that is a great breakfast for a vegetarian.
                for lunch i eat Greek salad: put extra protein on, such as hard boiled eggs, chicken, or seafood (sorry I'm not a vegetarian)

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you took out the Atkins bars and the cheese, and in their place used eggs and leafy greens. Not everyone realizes that broccoli and kale are equal to steak in complete protein, calorie for calorie - it's just that you have to eat so many greens. It's not a half cup that's for sure.

Comment

One pound in one month, I think, is pretty good. I'm not an expert, but losing too quickly is NOT good. You may tend to wane and wax in terms of loss. I'd be interested in to see how you do next month. I tend to lose a little one month and then "a lot' the next month. Just the way the body can be. Good luck.

Comment

I'm a vegetarian, too. Lots of eggs and cheese. Some soy. Whey powder on occasion. Tons of low-carb veggies, and a fair amount of ground flax.

I had no trouble losing weight. But I treat sugar alcohols like sugar. And I think Atkins Bars--and all their relatives--are garbage, and are part of what makes Atkins seem to outsiders like a "fad diet."

I don't think the sodium matters, and frankly I'd be surprised if your sodium intake was very high over the course of a day compared to the national average. High sodium intake comes mainly from processed foods, and it doesn't sound like you're eating a lot of canned or packaged goods.

I'd try dropping carb intake a lot. Some people don't lose weight at 55-65 grams per day, and with the Atkins Bars you might be a lot higher than that.

Really knock down the carbs and see what happens; try 20-30 grams and no sugar alcohols. Also keep in mind there are hidden carbs lurking all over the place, since they don't have to be reported if they are less than a gram "per serving." Sweetners like Splenda and stevia often carry carbs if they come in packets. Cream, if you use a lot of it, can add up. Try getting really hard-core for a week. You can loosen up later, after your body gets adapted to burning more fat.

Comment

Originally posted by misslja View Post
                        I've been eating low carb for a month and have lost 1 pound. What foods do people eat when you're a vegetarian? I'm wondering if it's because all the foods I eat are so high in sodium that I'm not losing.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
                        As you've seen there are a lot of thoughts on this. Let me suggest a couple of options. High sodium doesn't prevent you from loosing fat, but it does require you to retain more water. I'll leave that right there.
                        How many meals do you eat? 6 small meals a day are the best or do you eat 2 small and 1 large is on the opposite end of the right way to do it.
                        Best foods to eat when your a vegetarian on the PP diet are meals that contain less than 10 grams effective carbohydrates in 4 meals with the amount of protein your body needs. The best foods to eat when your a vegitarian are not the same as the best foods when your on the PP diet. Your question may be what's the best food for YOU and that can get into religion, ability of digestion, age and what YOU like to eat. I will throw out that there is a brand of whey that hospitals provide gastric bypass patients with and it tastes great. Can't name brands, but your hospital probably stocks it and if whey is acceptable it's a great way (hmmm, pardon) to reduce the middle age middle.
                        Perhaps providing 2 meals with a whey shake will reduce your sodium intake to a more acceptable level.

Comment

10-11 years since I was 7-8 I became vegetarian because it suit with my love for animals, morality and values. It was exciting as none of my family or friends were vegetarian. It just sensed perfect for me. I've been vegetarian ever since and Im 19 now

Comment

Working...
                          X