Chicken drumstick recipe ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken drumstick recipe ?

Hi everyone. I did a search using 'drumstick' and 'chicken legs' and didn't get any hits. Which seems odd. Anyway I'm looking for fast easy low carb recipes for baking drumsticks in the oven. I'm just a basic, get it done fast kind in the kitchen. Used to do some 'Shake-n-Bake' but that's out now, of course. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. - - - P.S. - actually any low carb baking recipe for chicken that would be good on the other parts of the bird would be great.

Re: Chicken drumstick recipe ?

You can do a shake and bake (although I don't care for it).

crunch up pork rinds with salt pepper garlic and whatever other spices
    dip chicken in egg, roll in crushed rinds
    bake

other people use egg and then roll in parmesean cheese

Comment

did you look in the recipes section here?
      Main Courses
      and then there is a Poultry thread

Comment

Thanks Amy - I'll have to try that out (used to avoid pork rinds - - well the vast majority of the time. I confess to liking them !)
        Lisa - - maybe I did my search wrong while still learning about the forums. I will go to the Main Courses & poultry thread. Thank you for your help. All the best, - -

P.S. - - Before reading your replies I did sprinkle a little bit of Mrs Dash and shredded parmesian cheese over some drumsticks (w/ skin on) and it turned out delicious. Quick & easy.
        Last edited by OutdoorGuy; 05-17-2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Actually, when I need a quick pan roast for any part of a piece of poultry (works on turkey, too), I put extra virgin olive oil in the pan, season with salt, pepper, maybe fresh thyme if I have some, a lemon squeezed over the top and quartered up, and a sprinkling of--Mrs. Dash. I am too lazy to do that in the oven most days...I do it in a covered chicken fryer/roasting pan on the top of the stove (takes about an hour for pieces of poultry, a little longer for things like turkey thighs, which are thicker.) Then I make a jus out of the pan juices and some chicken broth.

Comment

Gaelen - thank you, that sounds fast and tasty too.

I've been enjoying the drumsticks lately. My personal program requires eating 40 gm of protein per meal and I usually get in a snack or two. - - Hard for me to believe that I've been getting tired of chewing down beef ! I'm still eating super lean cuts that can be a little tougher though. Haven't yet wrapped my mind around eating rib eye, but as I go back and read PPLP and the forums, I'm sure I'll come around !

Comment

A crock pot (slow cooker) is great for cooking bone-in chicken, especially legs and thighs.

Just spread pieces evenly around the bottom of a dry crock pot, season with whatever you want (lemon-pepper is good. or just season salt), and turn on low and leave alone for 6-8hrs. You get perfectly roasted chicken pieces.

This is safe to do for 10+hrs if the chicken is mostly frozen to start. I do it this way before leaving for work, since i'm usually out of the house for 10+ hrs. I'll pull it out as soon as I get up, put it on high until I leave, then turn it to low. When I get home, the house smells of roasted chicken and all that's left is putting together some sides and salad.

Comment

I make a very basic baked chicken too... just spread the parts on a pan, rub with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and sometimes Montreal chicken seasoning if I have it. I bake it at 400 degrees for the first half hour, then turn down the oven to 350 for the remainder of the time (15 minutes more is usually sufficient). Easy, low maintenance, and makes the house smell wonderful!

Oh, and you can put a pan of green beans or broccoli (tossed with olive oil) to roast in the oven for the last 15-20 minutes that the chicken bakes, and you've got your side dish too!

Comment

I like this forum very much.But my favorite food is chicken like oven fried drumstick chicken.

Oven-Fried Drumsticks:
                  • 2 large egg whites
                  • 3 tbsp. honey-Dijon mustard
                  • 2 c. plain panko crumbs
                  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
                  • tsp. garlic powder
                  • 8 skinless chicken drumsticks
                  • Nonstick spray Directions

• Heat oven to 475F. You'll need a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and coated with nonstick spray.
                    • Slightly beat egg whites and mustard with a fork in a pie plate. Mix crumbs, ginger and garlic powder on a large sheet of wax paper until blended.
                    • Roll drumsticks in egg white mixture; shake to remove excess. Roll in crumbs, then place on prepared pan. Coat chicken with nonstick spray. Bake 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through and coating is browned.

Comment

Hi, Luca Rose! Thanks for the recipe. I'm not familiar with panko crumbs -- are they low carbohydrate?

Comment

Working...
                    X