Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving recipes

Relief,
    would you be so kind as to share your recipe with me? thanks so much.
    Anette

Comment

here is a link to Karen Barnaby's recipe. She is a chef and wrote a low carb cookbook just click here:
      http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe062.html

my recipe --especially the cooking instuctions--is pretty much the same.

sometimes I use more lemon juice; sometimes I use more sour cream; It just depends on my mood. You won't go wrong just following her recipe exactly. it is a great one.

for sweetener--I use 1/4 cup xylitol and 12 packets of splenda. The equivalent of about 3/4 of sugar. you can experiment with more or less sweetener, and different kinds. I find the xylitol/splenda mix gives a nice flavor very close to real sugar. ( and without much, if any, gastro symptoms) most folks find it impossible to tell the difference from "real".

I never bother with a crust any more. and I don't miss it. just skip all the instructions for the crust if you choose to do it that way ( though her crust sounds pretty good--I might try it one day)

BTW this cheesecake recipe is also identical( with real sugar though! LOL) to the one from America's Test
      Kitchen--the folks who publish Cook's Illustrated magazine. they have fabulous recipes which is where I originally got it; and got the cooking instuctions which is the real key!

Comment

I made the America's Test Kitchen recipe last Christmas while we were staying with my parents - I can definitely vouch for that one (the cheesecake part, that is. I did something different for the crust).

Comment

Thanks a lot for the recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary-LowCarbCentralWI View Post
            Here's a post to a Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake that one of my customers submitted to our newsletter. I tried it yesterday in 2 deep-dish pie pans to see if they would "compete" for Thanksgiving Day Dessert in our family. I would always make 4-5 pies for dessert, but unfortunately, my family doesn't always like my non-sugar versions. I reduced the baking time to 35 min and might try 30 min next time as they severely cracked (nothing a layer of whipped cream wouldn't cover). I also added a nut crust. I think it might just work for ThanksDay!

www.lowcarbcentral.biz/Recipes/PUMPKINSWIRLCHEESECAKE.pdf
            Up here in the great white north (Canada) thanksgiving is over, but I am looking at this for Christmas. But the link was dead when I tried it. Anyone have this recipe??? or can send a new link? Thank you.

By the way, my keyboard is really slippery now, all that drooling over the recipes on this thread. I hope these stay up for a while! And are added to! Thanks all.

Comment

What is xyitol or erithrytol ?

Comment

both are different types of artificial sweeteners.

Comment

Unlike sucralose (Splenda) or aspartame (Equal), which are non-nutritive chemicals, erythritol and xylitol are polyols or sugar alcohols (neither sugar nor alcohol, but with a chemical ressemblance to either). In effect, they are carbohydrates, like sugar and alcohol.

However, polyols are metabolized differently than sugar, meaning that they do not require insulin for metabolism. However, this varies from among polyols and also among individual sensitivities.

Erythritol has practically no calories and is eliminated virually 100% in the urine. It is about 70% as sweet as sugar and is considered safe, even in large amounts (see http://www.iupac.org/publications/pa.../7407x1281.pdf or simply Google "safety of erythritol" for more information). And because it is absorved in the lower intestine, it has no laxitive effect of flatulence associated with other polyols.

Xylitol is as sweet as sucrose (table sugar) but is caloric (about half as much as sucrose or about 2.4 Kcals/gram as compared to 4 Kcals/gram for sugar). It is partially absorbed in the colon, meaning that the remaining xylitol tends to ferment and cause flatulence and/or diarreah--when consummed in excess, which varies from person to person). It is also deemed safe for human consumption although it is lethal for dogs. It fights tooth decay and is often found as an ingredient in toothpaste and sugar-free chewing gum.

I use erythritol to sweeten coffee and low carb deserts. I have to enhance it with sucralose since it is not as sweet as sugar. But I find that it provides a better texture for cheesecake, pumkin pie, etc., than sucralose alone.

I use xylitol to make low carb ice cream. It's chemical composition works similarly to sugar in the prevention of ice crystal and in providing a smooth, creamy feel.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My idea for cranberry-berry dish this Thanksgiving: I'm going to cook the berries and immerse them into "diet Strawberry Jell-O" to make a mold that I can slice up - the strawberry flavor balancing out the tartness of the cranberries. Think of strawberry rhubarb pie? Now you have the idea. And if anyone my age (45) or older recalls - you can make a beautiful Jell-O "Bavarian" if you add a touch of heavy cream to color the whole mixture a rosy pink, and have a lovely, tasty,velvety finish to it! :-) YUMMERS!

Comment

Just wanted to get that year old post off here

Comment

Hi there,It is old post but just fantastic to me.Great recipes here and good stuff to share.I have book marked the page.It is great to know and thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X