Hi I'm new! And have questions re PCOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm new! And have questions re PCOS

Hi I am just starting on my low carb journey now.

My doctor has told me I have PCOS. I don't have any cysts but apparently I have the syndrome/symptoms. Does this make sense to anyone?

Anyway I am wondering how weight loss/low carb has helped you deal with PCOS.

I'm 35 and hoping to have kids one day. I'm hoping that PCOS doesn't mean that I can't.

thanks

Re: Hi I'm new! And have questions re PCOS

Hi, Beachbum. Your PCOS diagnosis makes perfect sense to me, as I have a similar situation: all of the symptoms without the cysts. After all sorts of testing, I was told in 1998 that I have PCOS. After many unsuccessful cycles with Clomid, I got pregnant July 1999 with the help of IUI (intrauterine insemination), first try. I was VERY fortunate. (Our first child was conceived without any problems, much to my surprise. I expected to have lots of trouble. Even though I hadn't been diagnosed, I knew something was up.)

In terms of LC and PCOS, you are so lucky to have found LC before trying to conceive. It wasn't until 2003, when I met with my current internist for the first time, that I was told, "You should read this book." Reading the original PP was one of the biggest "aha" experiences of my life. I immediately changed the way I eat and lost 65 pounds over the course of 9 months. My periods became regular right away. Imagine that, after 25+ years of never knowing when/if I was going to get one.... It's been 7 years and I've stayed within a 5-8 pound range of my original loss.

So, the short answer to your question is: Yes, your situation makes sense and yes, it is possible to have children if you have PCOS.

Best to you on your adventures in LC and PCOS. ~~ M

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbum View Post
      Anyway I am wondering how weight loss/low carb has helped you deal with PCOS.
      Hi, Beachbum! Sorry I missed you earlier. Low carb/weight loss definitely diminishes the symptoms of PCOS. In my twenties, I was diagnosed and told I would have to take medicine to conceive. In my thirties, married and eating low carb I was very surprised to find myself pregnant!

Other PCOS symptoms have also changed for the better. Please feel free to ask questions or PM me if you wish.

Comment

Hi Beachbum - I have PCOS too, although I do apparently have cysts (still have some, I can feel them on occasion). I was told in 2000 that I was infertile and would have to have IVF or adopt if I wanted children, because of the PCOS. I went onto a low carb diet after an acquaintance recommended it, and now have three beautiful children, all conceived the usual way:-) I also had very rare, totally random periods, and the low carb diet put me onto a regular cycle. All my symptoms improved with the diet, except for the hirsuiteness, which improves only with wax strips and tweezers But compared with the infertility issue, irregular periods, inability to lose weight and pain in my ovaries, that's manageable:-)

Very best of luck - do keep us posted, and PM me if you'd like.

Comment

Thank you all! You have given me hope!

Comment

Dr. John Briffa is a physician in London, and a health writer. He has a blog where he talks about "natural medicine" and often advocates a low carb way of eating.

His blog post today is about PCOS and a study of a low GI diet:

This study provides some objective evidence that a low-GI diet has merit for women with PCOS. However, my advice for women with PCOS looking to improve their condition through diet is not to eat a low-GI diet, but to eat a low-carb one. The thing is, it is possible to eat a low-GI diet and still eat a lot of carb. And, in essence, the less carb someone eats, the less insulin they secrete and, in theory at least, the better the result.

Comment

This thread is a few years old but it was good to read the comments. I haven't been officially diagnosed with PCOS, but my sister has. I have some characteristics that she has, so I can assume that I have it or at least a mild form. I have had two children with no medical treatments, but when I was in my twenties I had the most irregular periods ever! I had and still have hormonal acne although it is not nearly as bad now. I have hirsutisim ...which I would love to see go away. I would be thrilled if that acne and hair would improve. I used to take primrose oil for acne...I can't remember why I stopped. Hmm...I may need to look into that again.

Comment

Working...
              X