Supplments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Supplments

if you look at either nutritiondata.com or the USDA database, for many foods they have the FA breakdown (if you are interested).

Comment

Yeah I've used their web app on and off over the last few years, and I finally got sick of it and bought the stand-alone thing about a month ago, it is definitely much better, but I still want so much more, I think there's a market out there just waiting for something better to come along...

Comment

Originally posted by Songwriter View Post
        I don't know anything about Barlean's but the one I saw at vitacost is orange flavor and the spec list looks good. The one I have been taking is made by Melaleuca and it has polyphenols in it, too and it has a nice flavor. But I'm about to switch to one made by Formor that is Omega 3-6-9 blend. Then I'll add krill oil for a sea-based source.

Dr. Eades has a fish oil on his site, it's probably high quality.
        I found the Barleans Fish oil at a local store today, but the store messed up and had the oil out on there shelf (there distributor said it was OK). It should always be in the refridgerator accourding to Barleans customer service. So I didn't get any to try... I'll have to wait for it in the mail.

I have talked to Barleans at legenth, and I am convinved that it is very high quality. I've been taking a high dose of there total omega the last few days now and I have been feel pretty good. I have not used quite as much naproxed the last couple days. So I think it is helping a bit already.

The Barleans staff has been very kind to me with answering all my oil related questions (we exchanged a number of e-mails yesterday). They are sending me out a sample bottle of there fish oil. If anyone has questions for Barleans, e-mail me and I will send you the contact information for the person I have talked with over there.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmon View Post
          There is also this alternate theory that we only need very small, perhaps even no O-3 or O-6, and that our bodies produce an analogue called mead oil, when it is needed. Or at least that we need only very small amounts of O3/O6, and that many of the studies done that show improved health with added O3 are simply due to it counteracting some of the harm that O-6 does, but that an overall decrease in both will actually be just as beneficial if not more. The theory behind this is that both of these are very unsaturated and unstable oils - we all know how careful we need to be with fish oil (and flax oil) to make sure they don't become rancid. But getting the O6 (as well as some O3) out of the picture would also require us to remove food sources that have any significant amount of PUFA's, and stick to those foods where the fats are primarily MUFA's or SFA's..., which is not easy!
          I've encountered an anti-PUFA zealot online who claims that there is no need for O3 and O6 and has suggested that grain-fed beef may be superior to grass-fed because it contains more saturated fat. Personally, I avoid modern vegetable oil as much as I can, but I figure that the ubiquity of at least some PUFA in many natural whole foods means that small amounts were part of paleo diets and are therefore a normal part of our natural diet and not something to be fanatically avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
            I've encountered an anti-PUFA zealot online who claims that there is no need for O3 and O6 and has suggested that grain-fed beef may be superior to grass-fed because it contains more saturated fat. Personally, I avoid modern vegetable oil as much as I can, but I figure that the ubiquity of at least some PUFA in many natural whole foods means that small amounts were part of paleo diets and are therefore a normal part of our natural diet and not something to be fanatically avoided.
            I agree, Alex, and I think we probably ran into that same Zealot! I ended up leaving his Yahoo! Group because I perceived there was no flexibility (and not a whole lot of civility) in his stance. Still, I think there are questions concerning PUFA's. The main question seems to be (for me), is how far do we go in trying to avoid them. I generally try to opt for beef and lamb when available (although I still continue to get all of our meat that we cook at home from a farmer who raises his cows and exclusively grass-fed diet) and lower-fat fish/shellfish over chicken, pork and fatty fish, but when chicken, pork, or fatty fish are the only choices, I will certainly eat them! I continue to do what I've always done around vegetable oils, except that I've now opted to avoid walnut oil, which has a fair amount of overall PUFA, and instead consume macadamia nut oil with salads (or olive oil when macadamia nut oil isn't available).

I also try to avoid excess fat when eating foods, which is not what I've done in the past. Part of this is because I do still need to lose weight and creating a calorie deficit (even with a metabolic advantage) is sometimes hard for me since I'm not always that active and I'm on the smaller size, so I get to my caloric threshold for losing sooner. The other part, though, is that especially for those meats that have more PUFA's in them (pork and chicken specifically), those PUFA's are going to show up in their most concentrated form in the higher-fat parts - chicken skin and dark meat chicken, fattier cuts of pork, like ribs, sausage, etc.

As far as the whole paleo thing, I think it is a good metaphor for choosing what to eat, but I also have the thought that it may not be everything. I've been a big paleo advocate since reading PPLP, however recently I've just reconsidered it slightly, in the sense that while we evolved to eat this diet, we also evolved primarily to spread our genes (procreate) and perhaps raise our young to a point where they could fend for themselves. Given our biology, this means that we simply needed to stay in good health until, what, our mid-30's give or take? So, perhaps while a paleo-style diet may be good for us until this age, who knows what may be best at advanced ages which evolution didn't necessarily have to deal with? Also, given the fact that we do not have the same lifestyle as paleolithic man in so many ways, we don't have the same environment, etc., then mimicking their food intake may or may not be the optimal way to eat in our current environment. It may be our best guess currently, but I think we just can't categorically say anything. As fascinating as the anthropological evidence is, when it's fairly clear and we can draw decent conclusions from it, we really need to do more studies on how a paleo diet will effect us in our modern world...

Comment

Yes, we're definitely talking about the same zealot; I saw your parting post a couple weeks ago. I mostly just lurk there, and I make a point of not getting drawn into debate.

That's interesting about paleo nutrition not taking longevity into account; I never thought about it in those terms. My own diet is not purely paleo, but it is certainly a lot less agrarian than it was when I was eating a largely grain and bean "feedlot" diet, foolishly thinking it was good for me. A few months ago, I cut out the only remaining wheat in my diet (a couple slices of sprouted whole grain bread each day), and last week, I stopped eating cheese because it was gluing me up with mucous. Pretty much the only grain I eat now is granola or oatmeal on the three mornings a week I do weight training, and the only dairy I'm eating is whey protein isolate. As for meat, I'm slowly shifting away from grain-fed.

Comment

Luckily I don't seem to have any real problem with dairy. I eat quite a bit of it right now, but it's all raw, which I know some people say they have fewer problems with. As far as grains, I don't go near them and haven't for most of the past 7 years. I'm not a big grain person anyway, and the whole Leaky Gut Syndrome chapter of PPLP made me wary enough that I only have grains very occasionally, or at least the ones detailed in the book. The "safer" grains, rice in particular, I don't have very often either, but probably consume it more than the more potentially problematic grains... I don't weight-train, so getting carbs in to fuel muscle increase is not an issue for me...

Comment

Any suggestions on a good multivitamin? Or is it best to break it down to individual vitamins and minerals?

Comment

Hi, CowetAbec! Welcome to the forum. Dr. Eades recommends and explains several vitamins and supplements in his Protein Power books. Have you read any of them?

My own doctor has me taking specific supplements for my condition as well. Depending on your needs, a multivitamin might be a place to start.

Carol

Comment

Gitfiddle: yes I have read the original protein power book. I was just wondering if there was a multivitamin out now that would cover all
                      of their recommendations.

Comment

That, I can't say. I imagine every online pharmacy would tell you theirs was the best, though.

Comment

Welcome, Cowet ! I think unless you buy the vitamin they specifically manufactured you're not going to find an exact vitamin to meet their criteria. My suggestion is to get one as close to their recommendations as you can and start there. You can always add other things on but IMHO, it's always best to do only ONE thing at a time. Then if there's an issue, you know the culprit . Far easier than starting multiple things and then not having a clue .

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X