Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottasium Aspartate vs. Pottasium Gluconate

Hello,

I want to supplement myself with pottasium and there are 2 types in the store -
    Solgar Potassium Magnesium Aspartate
    and
    Solgar Potassium Gluconate

Which one should I take?

(The Aspartate cost twice as much, maybe because of the added Magnesium)

Re: Pottasium Aspartate vs. Pottasium Gluconate

I dunno. But here's what I found by googling...

gluconate
    the salts of gluconic acid; used as alkalinizing agents in fluid therapy. They have the virtue of being metabolized to bicarbonate slowly and having a prolonged effect.

aspartate Biochemistry A nonessential amino acid that has a central role in transferring amino groups by aspartate aminotransferase in the liver; in proteins, aspartate takes the form of its amide, asparagine. See Aspartame, Aspartate aminotransferase.

I also found this:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2214322AAnOo5W
    What is the difference between monopotassium aspartate and potassium gluconate?

I want to know how much daily recommended value of potassium something is because I'm needing higher than 3% in a single pill so I don't have to take so many daily.

In the potassium gluconate pills the daily amount is only 3% and I've found some that have monopotassium aspartate 250mg and it doesn't say how much that is in a recommended daily value. I am needing to suppliment my potassium by at least 80% of the daily recommended value and at 3% per pill that takes 25+ pills a day.
    The answer is that ultimately, there are only 99mg of potassium in any OTC supplement.

I like the idea of the Gluconate being slow release. On the flip side, I seem to recall that potassium should be taken with magnesium for something or another, so, that has it's merits, too.

Comment

Thanks maxlharris,

I've seen that post in Yahoo but I find it unclear...

I remember reading in Protein Power to prefer minerals bound to Aspertate (Gluconate was not mentioned AFAIK). So maybe that plus your comment about magnesium tilts the balance toward it. Still vague for me though...

Comment

Sorry I missed this. Aspartate and Gluconate are both examples of the chelated forms of minerals that the Eades recommend - I don't think they have a preference for exactly which type (and there are a fair few others as well - malate and citrate and ... its early here!)

If you want to know why there is a chapter in PPLP on Magnesium - I think they talk about calcium ion channels there - which in turn gives rise for the need for an alternative method of transport for important minerals (such as potassium and magnesium).

The slightly shorter answer to your question - is either one is fine ... but as you will read, magnesium is very important in a lot of different ways, so one that combines the two ...

Comment

Hi, Thanks a lot!

That really filled my blank spot on the subject. I've read that chelated minerals are preferad but I actually didn't know that Aspartate/Gluconate/etc is considered chelated. (Which is only logical, since they are both amino acids and thats what chelated is all about... duh!! )
          Last edited by ronkupper; 09-09-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxlharris View Post
            The answer is that ultimately, there are only 99mg of potassium in any OTC supplement.
            I think that's a US FDA standard, and not a world-wide standard.

Comment

Frank, I believe you are probably correct. Though I don't think you can get a 1g sup anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by maxlharris View Post
                Frank, I believe you are probably correct. Though I don't think you can get a 1g sup anywhere.
                It wouldn't surprise me if the laws in other countries are more rational on supplement amounts. With an RDA of 3500mg, limiting potassium to 99mg seems less than ideal.

The problems with overdosing for some people with heart disease, taking ACE inhibitors, etc., can be huge, though, and I guess that's why the FDA has limits on the amount allowed in each capsule.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Hagan View Post
                  The problems with overdosing for some people with heart disease, taking ACE inhibitors, etc., can be huge, though, and I guess that's why the FDA has limits on the amount allowed in each capsule.
                  You're correct about the 99 mg limit being a USFDA thing.

A true overdose of potassium is dangerous for anyone, but that's true of many other things that aren't regulated in the same fashion.

Chelated minerals are good, but in the case of potassium the bicarbonate is also absorbed well. If the 99 mg limitation is a problem, you can procure potassium bicarbonate from people who sell home brewing supplies--they sell the stuff by the pound.

Magnesium is good as an extra suppplement, and it defineitely ought to be taken as the citrate or chelated; most folks really ought to be taking about 400 mg. But it's best taken at bedtime because of its relaxing effect. I've found that Magnesium Glycinate works best for me. A surprising amount of Magnesium can also be absorbed through the skin--there are now sprays (called 'magnesium oil' even though it isn't an oil at all, but just a supersaturated solution of magnesium chloride in water). And a good old-fashioned Epsom Salts bath also works surprisingly well--you can almost feel your muscle fibers relaxing as the magnesium enters your bloodstream.

Comment

It's always better to get your vitamins and minerals from real foods. Those that get leg cramps can attest to this. An 1,800 calorie diet should have a minimum of 4,700 mg of Potassium. If you eat what is good for you and follow a healthy diet you will not have any uncomfortable side effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadstr View Post
                      It's always better to get your vitamins and minerals from real foods. Those that get leg cramps can attest to this. An 1,800 calorie diet should have a minimum of 4,700 mg of Potassium. If you eat what is good for you and follow a healthy diet you will not have any uncomfortable side effects.
                      I have a great diet. 99% 'real' foods. Plenty of green leafy veg. If I don't take magnesium supps I get leg cramps.

Comment

Working...
                      X