Low(ish) Carb Chicken and Dumplings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low(ish) Carb Chicken and Dumplings

This recipe is not truly low carb but it does run about half the carb count of traditional southern chicken and dumplings and I think tastes just as good.

Dumplings
    1 Can Navy Beans (drained)
    1 Can Boneless Chicken 13 oz
    1 egg
    3/4 cup Flour
    1 Tbsp Baking Powder
    Salt to taste (I usually don't add any since both the canned chicken and beans contain salt)
    Grind of Black Pepper

Add everything but the flour and baking powder to a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold in the flour and baking powder. You should get a batter with a soft biscuit dough consistency. Turn out onto parchment paper dusted with flour and roll out thin, dusting lightly as needed. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour (or less in freezer) then cut into 1" by 2" dumplings. Recipe should yield about 40 to 50 dumplings, with about 2 g ECC per dumpling.

Stew one large chicken in a pot with just enough water to cover it (I like to add carrots, celery, onions and chicken base to stewing liquid. Remove, skin and debone chicken when done; set meat aside. Reduce volume of stewing liquid by 1/3, then slowly add dumplings to boiling liquid. They will float to the top as they cook. Transfer cooked dumplings to another container (I dump them on top of the boned chicken meat).

When all the dumplings have been cooked, thicken the remaining broth with the thickener of your choice, adjusting the salt and seasoning to suit your tastes. Add the chicken meat and dumplings back to the pot, stir and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Again, not truly low carb, but a large bowl only costs me about 15 to 20 g ECC and I'm willling to pay that price for an occaisional treat.
    Last edited by pilgrim; 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM.

Re: Low(ish) Carb Chicken and Dumplings

Sounds delicious. now i know what I'm cooking the family this weekend!

Comment

Thanks for this, i've just found it but i'm going to make it this weekend, as it does seem suitable for a treat if you only have it occasionally.

Lets hope it tastes good becuase i've had bad luck with recipes found on forums before lol, although to be honest its probably more my cooking skills haha

Comment

This total recipe (not including the stewing chicken or the vegetables in the stew) comes in at a hefty 141 grams of carbs. With small dumplings (50 to the recipe) you are rocking not 2 ECC but 2.8 ECC, which in my book rounds to 3.

With a large bowl going somewhere between 7 and 10 dumplings, (using Pilgrim's 15-20 ECC calculation), you are really talking 20 - 28 grams of effective carb.

1 can of the commercial stuff looks like this:
        http://foxyurl.com/2Cj
        13.5 grams of carbs.

Not exactly on plan, but not exactly 15-20-30 either.

Not to poop on anyone's parade, but you should always run your own numbers.

Comment

Working...
        X