coconut oil emulsification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coconut oil emulsification

I've been making protein shakes for many years. I'd like to add coconut oil to improve my HDL, as the chocolate and coconut flavors go well together.

Unfortunately, at protein shake temperatures, coconut oil is a solid. The oil ends up congealing and floating on top in a sort of granular mess.

Is there a way to emulsify coconut oil so that it blends smoothly with the protein shake?

Thanx.

Re: coconut oil emulsification

I use both coconut oil and cacao (Ghirardelli's 100%) in my shakes. What I do is to break up the cacao and add coconut oil (in chunks as it is definitely solid at 70 degrees or below) in a Pyrex measuring cup. I then nuke it in my microwave for about a minute (more or less depending on total amount), just enough to melt it but not get it to hot. I melt the coconut oil this way even if I'm not using cacao.

Then, with the blender running at about medium speed I pour in the melted coconut oil slowly (by itself or mixed together with the melted cacao). I have found that this emulsifies perfectly every time. I generally make about a week's worth of shakes at a time. Even after refrigerating the shakes remain perfectly smooth and creamy.

Comment

Thanx. I'll have to give this a try.

Comment

Well.

The coconut oil now congeals as soon as it hits the cold liquid in the blender and floats to the top as a smooth, greasy foam, as opposed to a granular, greasy foam.

Baby steps.

Comment

You might try a higher blender speed, slower pouring rate, and/or warmer medium. Also, the thicker the medium the better the coconut oil emulsifies. I use almond milk as my base but I also add cocoa powder and flax powder, both of which are high in fiber and naturally thicken the shake. You might also try a little xanthan gum (and I mean "little"--1/2 - 1 tsp is good for a gallon). If you use xanthan you may want to mix it with other dry ingredients first to prevent caking.

Regardless of all this, I get some of the "slick" thing too. I just keep stirring while I'm drinking it--and enjoying it. The point is to get the coconut oil in your system as it has all sorts of healthful benefits (check out http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-...conut-oil.html).

Comment

Working...
          X